Once again, Paul Brent came through with great insights and advice in a friendly, open and candid manor. This is the third year he has done the call the week after SURTEX and he prepared a great show recap.
We had 180 artists listening live and many chatting on Twitter and Facebook during the call. Some feedback we received:
“On a scale of one to ten I think tonight’s phone session with Paul Brent would easily rate eleven. It was so realistically but positively informative.”
“Am SO glad I listened to the call. Many, many thanks.”
“Paul Brent is always so generous with his info!”
“Thanks Tara! Great call and insight. Walked Surtex for the first time, truly an eye opener. Lots of good info in the call.”
Here is what we covered:
- SURTEX 2011 Recap
- What was your biggest surprise at SURTEX?
- Do mfgs have trends they look for or do they expect artists to know the trends?
- How do you find the latest trends and know what will sell?
- How much art do I need to get started?
- What advice do you have about goals and accountability?
- Can you license the same thing to different mfgs and if you do, do you tell them?
- What do I need to have if a mfg is interested in my art at a trade show?
- How can we show our work if we can’t afford to exhibit at a show?
- How has the economy affected art licensing and your business in particular?
The audio replay is available for $20 thru June 8th and will also include a written SURTEX show recap.
We appreciate your support in purchasing the replays – this is how I can cover the costs of doing the calls and compensate experts who have come back time and time again. They like Starbucks $ too! 🙂
The other big announcement on the call was that after a lot of deliberation, I’ve decided to change the calls to every other month.
I’ve been doing them every month for 2 1/2 years and I’m once again at a point of “something has to give”. I so love doing them and will continue, but I also need to find more time to work on my own art for licensing so I have information of value to offer. Life is a constant balancing act and I think this will help keep me balanced and still deliver the great insights and inspiration that you have all come to expect from these calls. Thank you for your understanding and support!
I’ll talk to you on the next call – Wednesday, July 20, 2011 with me. Head to www.AskTaraReed.com at anytime to start submitting your questions.
Here’s to your creative success!
– Tara Reed
P.S. There were some questions on Facebook about “selling vs licensing” during the Ask Paul Brent call – here’s a blog post on the topic
P.P.S. Don’t forget the FAQ page! Lots of the basics questions we get are on the FAQ page of this blog with links to posts on the topics. So scroll up and hit the FAQ page – you’ll be happy you did! 🙂