It’s been a while since we had a legal expert on the line – I hope you were able to dial in and learn lots! Attorney Kyle-Beth Hilfer has lots of experience in art licensing and general intellectual property law – of course her answers are not to be construed as legal counsel just food for thought. (Disclaimers are very important! If you have a specific issue, contact her or the attorney of your choice!)
What we covered on the call…
• How to find and how to handle copyright infringements online
• Do manufacturers shy away from artists with an attorney and contracts?
• From a legal standpoint, how close is too close to another person’s work?
• Can I use purchased products in art and then license it? (rubber stamps, doilies, papers, etc)
• Which is more important trademark or copyright?
• How much should you allow licensees to manipulate your artwork and who should own the new versions of the work?
• What are your thoughts on exclusive license agreements?
• What can artist do to provide the most protection to his/her art?
Since this is Ms. Hilfer’s first call – the MP3 Audio replay is available for free! If you have signed up for a call before, you should have received an email with the direct link to the audio. If you haven’t, simply fill out the form below to get your copy –
[hana-code-insert name=’Ask Kyle-Beth replay’ /]
Learn more about Ms. Hilfer at:
Learn more from Kyle-Beth Hilfer at SURTEX!
She will be teaching “Understanding Legal Basics-Contracts and Copyrights” as part of the SURTEX conference series on Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 2pm. If you are exhibiting you get 2 free conference passes – maybe this should be one of them. 🙂 Learn more about the classes at http://www.surtex.com/TheShow/2012ConferenceProgram/tabid/103/Default.aspx
What’s Up Next…
Maria Brophy and I (Tara Reed) will be co-hosting the next Art Licensing Info Ask Call on Wednesday, March 21, 2012. You can submit your questions at any time at www.AskTaraReed.com
Here’s to your creative success!
– Tara Reed
P.S. If you are new to these calls did you know there are more than a dozen replays you can get for free? Go to http://askaboutartlicensing.com/get-free-call-replays/ and see all the experts who have shared their art licensing wisdom.