Last night was the December “Art Licensing Info Monthly Ask Call” and I had agent Suzanne Cruise on the line. Suzanne has been an agent since 1990 so she certainly knows the business! Several times she reinforced that this is a relationship business – quality art is obviously needed but equally as important is the relationship you or your agent can build with the manufacturers.
In the hour we talked about all the questions submitted by artists, I learned so much and hope that everyone on the line did as well! If you missed it you are in for a treat because the mp3 replay is available for free! (Well, the cost is your email so we can keep you up to date on what is coming up!)
I also really enjoyed getting to know Suzanne better and learning about how she looks at art, works with artists and tries to make art licensing a win-win situation for everyone involved.
Here are the topics we covered:
- How do you know if you are ready for an agent?
- How often do agents want art?
- What criteria does Suzanne use when deciding if she will represent an artist?
- Does an artist have to have experience in licensing to get an agent?
- How much art do you need to find an agent?
- Do different agents specialize in different product categories?
- Can you work with more than one agent?
- Do many agents work on a non-exclusive basis?
- What if you do mostly pattern work – will you be able to find an agent?
- Is it a good or bad idea to build a following for a character on sites like Zazzle and personal websites before trying to license the character, or will that hurt the chances of success?
- Do artists have to have computer skills to succeed in licensing?
- What computer skills would be helpful for artists to know if they want to license their work?
Suzanne also mentioned several times (much to my delight!) that it is good to be able to mock-up your designs on products so you or your agent can show manufacturers how well your designs will apply to their products. (I didn’t even prompt her – I promise!) So if you don’t have your copy of Product Mock-Up Magic yet, maybe now is the time to get it!
I promised to link to my blog post about creating a code system for your art – another thing Suzanne recommends. CLICK HERE
Finally, we talked about a Photoshop plug-in, Contact Sheet, and I will do a separate blog post about that soon. Thank you to all the artists who sent me information – it seems to be in different spots in each version of Photoshop and I haven’t had time to really dig in and investigate. Stay tuned…
To get your copy of the mp3 replay, CLICK HERE
Here’s to your creative success!