Another great call with our latest art licensing experts – artist Drew Brophy and his wife / business mind, Maria. There were 80+ artists listening live – were you one of them?
Here is what we covered…
- How Drew Brophy got into art and licensing
- What’s the most important thing you’ve done to connect with/market to customers in your niche to create a fan base?
- How important do you feel your work connecting directly with consumers is to your ability to get licensing agreements?
- How important is it that you create art that will fit on certain products vs. just creating whatever you feel and letting art buyers decide what to do with it?
- How do you choose what a new designs to create?
- Where do you go or what do you look at to recharge your creative batteries?
- How do you stay motivated if things are slow?
- What gives you the most joy in what you do?
- How do you deal with rejection?
- Maria, what was your 1st year at licensing Drew’s work like? What was some of the things that you did to get Drew’s work visible.
- What are the most important first 3 steps to set me on the road to learning to license my art?
- How can you figure out which licensing market one’s style of artwork would be most appropriate and succesful in?
- How can one be sure he or she is getting a good “deal” when negotiating a first contract?
There wasn’t a lot of action on the Facebook page during the call but quite a few artists were tweeting away – here are a few of the comments:
“@ArtistTaraReed @mariabrophy knowing that perfection does not have to be met for success…#ask”
“@ArtistTaraReed: @DrewBrophy talks abt being unemployed every Mon morning – u have 2 figure it out! < yes! #ask” Keeps us on our toes!”
“People want to be a part of your story as an artist” – @DrewBrophy #ask
“I love this call so much-I’ll be replaying it for inspiration! They are so grounded, relaxed, smart and thoughtful!”
If you missed the call, the mp3 replay is available for free at www.AskDrewBrophy.com.
Thank you Drew and Maria for sharing your experience and insights – truly appreciated by all!
– Tara Reed
P.S. Coming up next…
Wednesday, February 16, 2011: www.DebbieMumm.com/askDebbie/
Art Licensing guru Debbie Mumm got her start and stays true to her fabric and quilting design roots. Over the years she has expanded and built her business to include just about every product imaginable. This is an amazing opportunity to listen and learn from this talented artist and business woman – submit your questions for consideration!
Wednesday, March 16, 2011: www.AskTaraReed.com