Just like Paul Revere road through the suburbs of Boston shouting, “The British are coming! The British are coming!” – it’s the time of year I start shouting “The trade shows are coming! The trade shows are coming!” If you are exhibiting at one of the 4 art licensing trade shows, are you ready?
Here is the schedule of upcoming shows:
AmericasMart Gift & Home Furnishings Market – Atlanta – License & Design section each January 13 – 15, 2012
- This is the “biggie” for the gift industry and in 2008, they added a License & Design section to offer artists booth space and promotion during the show.
- NOTE: AmericasMart has changed their admittance policy and NO ARTISTS are allowed in under their own business… period. While I disagree with this black & white policy since artists are an integral part of the industry, that’s the way it seems to be. Even artists with their art on many, many products in the show have to beg a client to let them in. Total bummer, very unprofessional. (In this artist’s opinion.) However, that is how it is so don’t head to Atlanta and think you will get in unless you have arranged for a badge from a manufacturer.
- Show website: http://AmericasMart.com/markets/gift
Craft & Hobby Association – Anaheim, CA – January 29 – FEbruary 1, 2012
- The biggest Craft & Hobby show of the year, they too have a License & Design section for artists to exhibit.
- Show website: http://hobby.org/
SURTEX – New York City – May 20 – 22, 2012
- Trade show solely focused on artists and agencies in art licensing.
- Show website: www.SURTEX.com
Licensing Expo – Las Vegas – June 12 – 14, 2012
- This show covers all aspects of licensing – sports, movies, tv as well as art.
- Show website: www.LicensingExpo.com
Here are a few things to help you get the most out of your time and effort:
How to Maximize Your Time and Investment in Trade Shows – eBook by Tara Reed
& Trade Show Tactics Teleseminar – audio replay by Tara Reed
Buy the eBook, the audio or both to get ready to exhibit at an art licensing trade show. Practical tips to help you plan your booth, man your booth and follow-up like a pro – making the time and investment in the show pay off. Decrease your learning curve by implementing tips and tactics that are proven to succeed.
Confessions of a First Timer – Reflections, Musings, Tips and Tricks from a First-Time SURTEX Exhbitor* – eBook by Khristian Howell
Khristian’s 23 page eBook is real, inspiring, positive and organized. She talks about the roller coaster of emotion and her strategies to keep a “get it done” attitude. She even shares how she is going to get ready for next year! For anyone thinking about exhibiting at an art licensing trade show – this is a great place to start.
This is not just an ebook! With the help of some AWESOME GUEST STARS, Khristian has literally created your guide to getting it all done. What I can tell you now, is this project is like no other. While Khristian is putting the final touches on things, hop on the mailing list to be THE FIRST to hear about the upcoming release, FREEBIES, and a few surprises (that you will only find out if you are on the list!) along the way. Show season will soon be upon us! Get ready to be a Showstopper!
Wishing everyone much success in the upcoming trade show season!
– Tara Reed
P.S. If you are exhibiting you might also be interested in the eBook Maria Brophy & I just released – How to Understand Art Licensing Contracts – that is the point, after all!