Remember the movie Better Off Dead? John Cusack as Lloyd Dobler is dating the hot chick whose dad doensn’t approve … ah… brings me back! There is a dinner scene that I have always loved – and I finally found it on YouTube! Watch as he nervously answers the question “What do you want to do when you grow up?”
I can honestly say my path to art licensing is pretty similar! If someone asked me what my perfect job is I would say things like,
- I don’t want to be tied to a desk and expected to be anywhere for an arbitrary amount of time each day
- I want the flexibility to set my own schedule and work or shop or sleep whenever I feel like it
- I don’t want to have to pick ONE THING to do with my art – so I can’t make cards, for example, because I might get bored and want to make a gift bag and then what would I do?
- I don’t want a garage full of products
- I don’t want to hire and manage reps
- I don’t want to invest thousands of dollars in inventory…
SO… I’m going to license my art. 🙂 Luckily – it works!
If you are new to this blog and the concept of licensing, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE click on the FAQ tab and learn the basics of how this works. If you have a list of things you do and don’t want to do, it’s a good idea to see where art licensing falls. It works for me but might not work for you – but you won’t know till you do some investigating!
Here’s to your creative success!
– Tara Reed