As I am getting ready for my last travel day in January, a bit weary from nights in hotels and days in trade show booths, I got to thinking about my business. I feel so fortunate with everything in my life — my family and friends, my home in the Northwest, and my wonderful art business.
While packing my suitcase I found myself creating a mental list of why I do what I do and more importantly, why I love it. You spend so much time and energy on work, why not find something that fills you with passion instead of filling you with dread?
Here is my list of “5 Reasons I love Art Licensing”
- I get to create art, use my imagination and play with paint every day.
- When I am at trade shows, I have the pleasure of meeting some of the nicest and most talented artists who “get” what I do. And because everyone has their own style, we can help each other and not feel threatened or competitive. There is room and a place for everyone.
- I’m the boss of me. I steer the ship, set the course, and decide what I do or don’t want to do. I don’t have a manager putting demands on my time or energy without my input – everything I do is my choice. (Sometimes I have to remind myself of that… so don’t you forget it either!)
- I get butterflies in my stomach and a big smile on my face when I “visit” my art in stores. It is such a thrill to see your creations go from your head to your paper and finally end up on products on the shelves of stores.
- Finally, although I work more than many people with more traditional jobs, my time is flexible and 98% of the time I am more than happy to be doing what I do. Who can ask for more than that?
Here’s to hoping you find the excitement, passion and joy in how you spend your days!